2014 Leapfrog Hospital Survey Materials
Please download and review the survey materials provided on this page before you begin. The materials on this page contain all the information you and your hospital need to successfully complete the Leapfrog Hospital Survey online. Please read the survey and survey instructions carefully before you begin. Do not finalize your responses to the survey until you have carefully reviewed the measure specifications in the survey reference book below.
Download a hard copy of the survey
The hard copy of the survey can be used to collect the information you will need to enter into the online survey tool. The hard copy of the survey includes questions, reporting periods, end notes, and instructions. The hard copy of the survey matches the online survey tool exactly, so responses can be recorded on the hard copy of the survey and then entered into the online survey tool.
Survey Reference Book
The Survey Reference Book contains important information that you will need to accurately respond to the survey questions. The Survey Reference Book includes:
- specifications for volume, process, outcomes and resource utilization measures;
- references to publicly-reported risk-adjusted mortality outcomes data;
- frequently asked questions;
- algorithms used by Leapfrog to score survey responses and publicly report survey results; and
- notices of changes made to the survey or any of these reference materials since initial survey release on 4/1/2014
- Survey Reference Book was updated on 4/17/2014. Please review the change summary in Section 4.
Other Supporting Materials
The following documents provide critical information that you will need to complete the Leapfrog Hospital Survey. Please review each document carefully before you begin.
Support for Section 3: Survival Predictors
- Scoring: How the Survival Predictor is Computed and Scored
- Instructions for Leapfrog Survival Predictor Calculator
- Leapfrog Survival Predictor Calculator
Support for Section 4: Maternity Care
Hospitals can download the Cesarean Section Calculator to help calculator their adjusted and unadjusted cesarean rates based on responses to Section 4B.
Support for Section 6: Leapfrog Safe Practices Score (SPS)
Hospitals should download a copy of the full report of the National Quality Forum’s Safe Practices for Better Healthcare 2010 Update: A Consensus Report if you don’t already have one; it is needed to complete Section 6 of the survey. The document (PDF) can be downloaded free of charge at the link below.
- Download a copy of the 2010 Safe Practices for Better Healthcare (released April 2010)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Leapfrog Safe Practices Score
Support for Section 7: Hospital-Acquired Pressure Injuries
Support for Section 8: LOS for Common Acute Conditions
Resources include: list of CC codes for LOS Risk Factors; Geometric Mean Tool to compute the geometric mean length of stay for the AMI, Heart Failure, and Pneumonia; and detailed LOS scoring algorithm.
Leapfrog’s Multi-Hospital System/Multi-Campus Hospital Reporting Policy
The Leapfrog Group requires multi-campus hospitals to report separately to the Leapfrog Hospital Survey, even if they share a Medicare Provider Number. If your hospital has more than one location, please review Leapfrog’s Policy for guidelines on how to respond to the Survey.